American Alsatian Health
Please remember that the information listed below represents a network foundation for a new breed of dog which required a population of about 1813 dogs to be bred over a period of 24 years. Listed below are all of the instances of any health issues in this breed (including the foundation dogs) throughout those years.
- In 2007, one female pup out of Zorro X Carlitta had severe elbow dysplasia at 2 years old. Both parents were hip/elbow tested and received excellent scores. Nevertheless, the parents, Zorro and Carlitta, were never again bred together.
- In 2002, one dog at the age of 6 years old out of Bach X Betty developed weak joints in the elbow.
Hip Dysplasia/Elbow Dysplasia (.1%)
- In 2011, one 2 year old male out of Keno and Annie was diagnosed with epilepsy.
- In 2009, one 4 month old female pup out of Beamer X Ida Mae had seizures for one week immediately following a rabies shot. This puppy has not had any seizures since and is not currently on any medication.
- In 2009, one male pup out of Beamer X Ida Mae was shown to have epileptic seizures at 12 weeks old after a severe fall.
- In 2008, one male pup out of Packer X Rowanda was shown to have epileptic seizures at eight years old.
- In 2004, one F1 female pup out of Sam (Great Pyrenees mix) X Sooner was diagnosed with epilepsy.
- In 2003, 4 out of 8 pups in the litter out of Trucker X Trixy had seizures . One of those pups died suddenly and the autopsy report found no indication of any trauma or genetic problems. Both Trucker and Trixy were spayed and never bred again.
- In 2001, one male pup out of Packer X Ricotta had seizures.
- In 1999, Hoss, the first male mixed pup bred from purebred German Shepherd Dog and Malamute had epilepsy at the age of 11 years old.
- In 1992, Omo Von Der Dodo SCHIII, one of the foundation stock German Shepherd dogs from Germany, experienced daily seizures until it subsided considerably without medication after taking the dog out of the intensive schutzhund training environment. No pups out of this male were ever shown to have epilepsy, seizures, or tremors for any length of time.
Epilepsy or seizures (.6%)
- In January 2012, one female out of Zorro X Luna was diagnosed with mild Panosteitis in her right front leg at 14 months old. The limping symptoms lasted for 1 week. She has been spayed and has never been bred.
- In 2004, one female out of Zorro X Sooner showed mild limping at varying times at 5-8 months old.
- In 1994, one male pup showed very mild limping for approximately one week at 5 months old.
- In 2002, two pups out of the Uric/Vegas lines were reported to have arthritis.
- In 2004, an 8 year old female out of Saba and Brat developed arthritis.
Severe arthritis (.1%)
- No known instances
Eye diseases (0%)
- In 2012, one female pup out of Zorro X Nadine had ectopic ureters on both sides. She constantly and uncontrollably dribbled urine. The pup had surgery to correct the problem, was spayed and never bred.
- In 2009, one male pup out of Beamer X Annie developed sheath problems at 9 months old and was unable to retract into the prepuce.
- In 2003, one 11 year old dog (F3) was reported to have a weak bladder.
Urinal Problems (.2%)
- In 1990, one pup out of a third generation had acute dermatitis at 3-6 months of age. No pups from that litter were ever bred to further the lines and the parents were never rebred.
Skin disorders (.05%)
- In Oct 2011, one 3 year old female (f2) out of Beamer X Annie experienced a partial stomach turn, which involved bloat symptoms and an enlarged spleen. The reasons for the turn were never determined and it is believed that the enlarged spleen was the cause of the stomach turn. The spleen was removed and the stomach stapled. This female was spayed and never bred.
- In 2004, one 4 year old male dog out of Vegas X Sooner was diagnosed with gastric torsion.
Bloat and gastric torsion (.1%)
- In 2010, a 10 year old male out of Bach and Betty Boop was diagnosed with Myelofibrosis, a form of leukemia.
- In 2011, a 1 year old dog out of Zorro X World Premiere was diagnosed with Masticatory Myositis.
Muscle disorders (.05%)
- In 2010, a 6 month old puppy out of Missy and Keno died of complications due to an enlarged heart.
Heart Conditions (.05%)
- In 2011, a 1 year old male out of Jessie and Keno showed biting and licking behaviors due to a wheat allergy.
- In 2011, a 6 month old pup out of Zorro X World Premiere was diagnosed with wry mouth. World Premiere has been spayed and no puppies were kept to further her lines.
- In 2011, one female pup out of Zorro X Luna was shown to have extra penal tissue during a routine spay.
- In 2011, one male pup out of Zorro X Missy only had one descended testicle, Crytochidism.